Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Technical Forums > General Tech

Old 11-23-2009   #1
mk1vwguy
CICENet Guru

Merkur xr4ti problems

Hey guys I jus picked up a merkur xr4ti and haven some problems. The car runs good till u hit WOT and at about 4500rpm it kinda falls on its face. The car has sci msd box, blaster coil ,cam, 3" exhaust. Chipped ecu, upgrade fuel pump, 35lbs injectors, t3t4 turbo, 18psi, think that's all. But I should have enough fuel and spark. The car is mean till 4500 then kinda backfires and sputters and knocking. Ill check to see if it has knock sensor hooked up or not. I'm goin to try regapping plugs and check what fuel pressure is at idle. its my first turbo ford so jus seeing if anyone had any ideas. Ill be working in it all day tomorrow.
1988 Ford ranger. Bright atlantic blue, trian horns ,Lowered 3/7 for now,A237 cam, Big Vam, Garret T3 .60/.63ar , full 3" exhaust, FMIC,Chipped LB2 computer, ported head, Ported intake and Exhaust mani,36# injectors. Getting Holset hx35, and boport cam in few weeks and putting my dream beams on front.
mk1vwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009   #2
jvb6806
Super Moderator

sounds like a fuel issue to me. those injectors seem a little small for the turbo. i would check the duty cycles (if you can) and see where they are at.

http://www.shenanigansracing.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeBawlz
i have an 18hp racecar
jvb6806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #3
mk1vwguy
CICENet Guru

Ok ill check that out. Lot of guys run the brown top svo injectors that I got and work ok. Ill take them out and see how there flowing. Why would it backfire tho? Isn't tht extra gas in cylinders? I'm going over whole car tom and seeing what is all hooked up and what's not. And also I think head is cracked or something cause I took it out for 30 Mins and it started smoking bad whitish color. And fired it up today and nothing. Kinda weird. Its suppose to have a copper head gasket and was just put on 1000 mile ago I guess. I knew it was a project so not to worried about it. I'm leaning towards cracked head and fire or timing issue. It has a ford motor sport cam and adjustable cam gear. Jus no idle where to set them.
1988 Ford ranger. Bright atlantic blue, trian horns ,Lowered 3/7 for now,A237 cam, Big Vam, Garret T3 .60/.63ar , full 3" exhaust, FMIC,Chipped LB2 computer, ported head, Ported intake and Exhaust mani,36# injectors. Getting Holset hx35, and boport cam in few weeks and putting my dream beams on front.
Old 11-23-2009   #4
Chefasaurus
I is in your threadz.

Sounds like you need to play with the timing a bit, and retard it under full boost.

1977 Mercury Monarch -"Project: Kustom Seventy-7"

John Deere Blitz Black Crew: Member #001

2010 Scion xD

1986 Volkswagen Jetta GL Wolfsburg

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 6spd - "Lafawnduh"
Chefasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #5
mk1vwguy
CICENet Guru

The cam gear or ignition timing? The guy said I need the cam advanced 9d and retard crank 6 degree. How do u retard it under boost?
Old 11-23-2009   #6
jvb6806
Super Moderator

DSM's max out 450cc injectors with a 14b.... you are running around a 360cc injector on a much larger turbo. FWD 2G's can max out the 390's on a T25 and those are TINY turbos (2G AWD's max out 450's as well in the T25).

that seems small to me.

your ignition timing should be part of your tune. you can check base timing and see where that is at. when dealing with someone else's project i would start from the beginning. and if your car has a knock sensor it should pull more timing on it's own if you are knocking.

do you have a datalogger or a laptop with your fuel/timing maps?

check your fuel pressure and duty cycle and if you are over 90% DC get some 650's (or larger) and go from there.

needs more of these.

http://www.rceng.com/Peak-Hold-Injec...top-P55C5.aspx

if you are going to buy new plugs get some NGK coppers that are one heat range cooler than stock and maybe even gap them a little short.

Quote:
i have an 18hp racecar

Last edited by jvb6806; 11-23-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-23-2009   #7
Chefasaurus
I is in your threadz.

Ignition timing. You'd have to get into the ECU program to tinker with it. Personally, I openly admit that tuning with fuel injection is an art that I simply don't possess. However, there's a lot of people on the board with lots of tuning experience with a variety of different ECU's.

1977 Mercury Monarch -"Project: Kustom Seventy-7"

John Deere Blitz Black Crew: Member #001

2010 Scion xD

1986 Volkswagen Jetta GL Wolfsburg

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 6spd - "Lafawnduh"
Chefasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #8
mk1vwguy
CICENet Guru

Thnks ill check that stuff out. I have a laptop but no program to see whatt air/fuel ratio I'm running. Pretty sure it has a knock sensor ill double check. It was runnin lean as sh#t at WOT and I adjusted FPR and seems to be richer now but all I have is a narrow band o2. I need a WB to fine tune right?
Old 11-23-2009   #9
andersonpt85
CICENet Senior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefasaurus View Post
Ignition timing. You'd have to get into the ECU program to tinker with it. Personally, I openly admit that tuning with fuel injection is an art that I simply don't possess. However, there's a lot of people on the board with lots of tuning experience with a variety of different ECU's.
Distributor.

A lot of people will disconnect the knock sensor due to their uber-sensitivity on the t2.3 - feels like 15hp on the butt dyno when its disconnected.

Also I was running 95% injector duty cycle with 42's, t3t4, manifold, and ranger cam in my old t-bird.

Turn down the boost, steal a wideband, and 'tard the timing to 8*-10*. Let me know what you find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I've never heard the words "roll center" mentioned on Pinks or Pass Time...so it must be something that only impacts them foreign cars, ya' know?

Pass me another Schlitz.....
andersonpt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009   #10
jvb6806
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonpt85 View Post
Distributor.
that changes things.

yeah check base timing. what kind of fuel pressure are you running? if you cranked it up super high it may constantly sputter at WOT because of too much fuel but it usually doesn't die and backfire. i think you are supposed to be at like 39psi or something like that?

and yes get a wideband. the narrow band is nothing but i fancy light show for honda owners.

AEM Wideband $225
http://lancershop.com/customer/produ...0&bestseller=Y

or my favorite the innovate is a little more subtle for $229
http://www.frsport.com/Innovate-Moto...s_p_12689.html

Quote:
i have an 18hp racecar