Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > General > CICENet General

Old 06-25-2009   #1
19Accord97
CICENet Posting Master

Unhappy Fresh Paint - When can it be waxed?

So the car will be ready to pick up on Sunday fresh from getting painted.

I just got my 3m invisible bra today and am ready to load the Fiji Blue with some Meguiars NXT wax. However, I am getting mixed responses as to how long I have to wait before I can apply either.

I really don't want to wait as they are loading our local roads up with gravel and since they took out the bridge on route 150 the traffic through my neighborhood is nuts. So rock chips are my biggest fear @ the moment.

Can anyone attest as to how long I have to wait before I can wax it?
If I can't wax it, can I wash it, or use any other products?
19Accord97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2009   #2
russd32
CICENet Senior Guru

Most body shops that I've talked to say that you should wait a month or so to wax it or use high pressure water of any kind. It probably wouldn't hurt anything if you wax it before that but what's the hurry, it's brand new paint so it shouldn't really need waxed yet.
russd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009   #3
19Accord97
CICENet Posting Master

I just want it to be protected! Especially since I am now surrounded by literally, tons of loose gravel. Looks like I wont be taking the interstate for class anymore.

I have heard that if you wax a vehicle after freshly being painted, gasses escaping from the paint wont be able to because of the wax. This will then cause bubbling of the paint.
Old 06-25-2009   #4
russd32
CICENet Senior Guru

I know what you mean, but a month without wax won't hurt it any. I wouldn't worry too much about driving on the interestate either, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never heard anything about wax trapping gasses in the paint, and I wouldn't really buy it. I've heard of solvent pop, which is bubbles in the clear, caused by laying down a coat of clear before the base or previous coat of clear has flashed. I think the issue is usually just the pressure and rubbing applied to soft paint since it'll continually harden for the next week or two.
russd32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #5
19Accord97
CICENet Posting Master

Thanks for the info! Looks like I will be waiting a month or 2 before messing with the paint.
So I should leave it in the sun as often as possible to help cure and harden the paint, right?

I'll have to give Sherwinn Williams and 3M a call to see what they have to say.
Old 06-26-2009   #6
lv_boy
Evolved CICENet Member

Post some pics of the car after the fresh paint. I want to see how it came out

2000 HONDA CBR 600 F4
2007 BMW Z4M Roadster
lv_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #7
NewScooby
CICENet Posting Master

10. How soon can I wax my new car?

A new car with a factory paint job can be waxed the moment it is rolled out of the manufacturing plant. Cars that have factory paint jobs are cured at much higher temperatures, sometimes as high as 300 degrees in special baking ovens. At a factory level, the car goes through the painting and baking process without any of the rubber, plastic, and cloth components installed. This is why they can expose the car and it's fresh paint to such high temperatures. These high temperatures and special paints used at the factory level insures the paint is fully cured by the time the car is completely assembled.

After-market paint finishes however, are cured at a much lower temperature to ensure the method of baking or heating the paint doesn't melt non-metal components such as wiring and vinyl. For this reason, it's best to follow the specific paint manufactures recommendations for care and maintenance of fresh paint. Most paint manufactures that supply paint to the refinish industry recommend that you allow anywhere from 30 to 90 days curing time after the paint is applied before you apply the first application of wax.

To maintain your cars fresh paint during the recommended curing time you can safely use any of the below Meguiar's pure polishes, which are not only safe for fresh paint but help to enhance the curing process while making your paint look it's absolute best.

Meguair's says no, I say put 2 coats on it! That's why I let Chef do my car
NewScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #8
Chefasaurus
I is in your threadz.

Meguiar's M7 Show Car Glaze is what I'd recommend. Don't use any wax for at least 30 days, because it will end up hazing over the entire finish, and without a proper cure time, the clear will actually start to lift from the basecoat.

1977 Mercury Monarch -"Project: Kustom Seventy-7"

John Deere Blitz Black Crew: Member #001

2010 Scion xD

1986 Volkswagen Jetta GL Wolfsburg

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 6spd - "Lafawnduh"
Chefasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #9
psssst...passedyou
CICENet Posting Master

I waited 30 days to wash and 90 to wax when i painted my previous car.
psssst...passedyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009   #10
HonCivSi08
CICENet Posting Master

so you got it painted Fiji Blue good choice i love that color which is why i bought my Si in that color in the sun it looks sooo good.
HonCivSi08 is offline   Reply With Quote