Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 02-09-2017   #71
Kazz5
Member of 'The Zoo'

Has anyone here been involved with the group up near the Quad Cities? I've heard only a bit about them when at Cordova a couple of times. For me in Peoria, it's about as far as Rantoul...
Old 02-09-2017   #72
sgreer78
CICENet Senior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
That is in no way what I said, or was it my intention to give that impression. If I remember my calendar I think there were three days that overlap. I did not say go to one over the other (specifically and intentionally)... in fact I said going to the events that are closer makes the most sense for most people. I don't think I could have possibly been more Swiss.

I am more than happy to move my comments into a different thread or delete them anyone was offended by my suggestion to try some new clubs and support fellow Illinois autox clubs. But my comments were organic in the ongoing conversation about local autoX events.
Don't worry dude, things have a way of being misinterpreted here very easily.
sgreer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017   #73
mtn
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
Yeah. Not a bad site considering the alternatives around here. Better than Sears, boomers, or the horse track.
Good to know that they're doing them there. That's about 45-60 minutes from me, and 10-15 from my parents. I've been out of the game since I moved away from central Illinois, but now that I'm out of the city I might actually get to play again.

Just gotta get a car first. Or find a co drive.
Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen. -A1
mtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017   #74
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz5 View Post
Has anyone here been involved with the group up near the Quad Cities? I've heard only a bit about them when at Cordova a couple of times. For me in Peoria, it's about as far as Rantoul...
I ran one event with them with Marty as my co-driver when I still had the Z3 in STR. Our experiences were the same as many other who have shared them in that they have an awkward run style (they run numerically), they tend to have smaller lots which often require a loop over course although I've heard better about the site which is not right on the river, and don't appreciate invaders who spank the crap out of all their local hot shoes. We were 1/2 on raw and index. Otherwise, it could really boost your ego.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017   #75
mtn
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3papa View Post
I ran one event with them with Marty as my co-driver when I still had the Z3 in STR. Our experiences were the same as many other who have shared them in that they have an awkward run style (they run numerically), they tend to have smaller lots which often require a loop over course although I've heard better about the site which is not right on the river, and don't appreciate invaders who spank the crap out of all their local hot shoes. We were 1/2 on raw and index. Otherwise, it could really boost your ego.
I'd heard that too from a Chicago area person who went out there--first, they weren't happy that this guy's raw time was a full second quicker than the next fastest PAX, and second they threatened to disqualify him if he hit any more cones because it was too much work. That would have been at least 15 years ago now that this happened, so much has probably changed.
Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen. -A1
mtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017   #76
RacerX11
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3papa View Post
At least the trophies were worth the effort
RacerX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017   #77
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

That might be the reason they didn't enjoy being beat by outsiders.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017   #78
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX11 View Post
At least the trophies were worth the effort
Yeah those neat little stickers the size of your thumbprint were really special.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017   #79
DisplacedNE
CICENet Posting Master

I have run with GRR once or twice each of the past two seasons while visiting my in laws. Their best site is the airport in Davenport, it has great concrete but normally requires two laps. They have had an influx of new folks and have made some improvements. They have been friendly the past couple of seasons and some of their folks have ventured over to Peoria.

Two areas they need to improve are with grid organization (there is none) and with course design.

If I don't so spring nationals I may do memorial weekend in Davenport with the in laws and hit them up for 1 day.

Last time I was there I got there early and helped the small crew setup and they were appreciative.

CIR SCCA Member - schedule
CCSCC Member - schedule
DisplacedNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017   #80
Kazz5
Member of 'The Zoo'

Thanks for all of the info on them. As I said, I had run into a couple of folks when at Cordova that were talking about it. I may give them a shot. They already have their '17 season schedule up, too.