Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Track Events

Old 08-24-2016   #1
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Rolex 24 2017

Looks like I'm going Any tips? Wife and 2.5 year old in tow, probably gonna have a hotel off-track.

We had threads in 2010
http://www.cicenet.net/showthread.php?t=8108
http://www.cicenet.net/showthread.php?t=8010

and 2009
http://www.cicenet.net/showthread.php?t=5504

and 2008 from this guy digitalseance... who is that guy anyway?
http://www.cicenet.net/showthread.php?t=1882

jvb went to grand-am in 2012
http://www.cicenet.net/showthread.php?t=12028

Otherwise I'm a Grand-Am/ALMS/Continental/IMSA/TUDOR/whateverthehelltheycallitthesedays rookie.
illinipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2016   #2
jvb6806
Administrator

DigitalSeance was a dude that used to autoX an 02 WRX way back in the day. He moved to SC or something like that a long time ago...

I have been to several Rolex/IMSA/Tudor/Weathertech Endurance races at RA over the years. I saw both races one year when the series was slit.

It is by far the most laid back and open professional race I have ever been to. There is no assigned seating, at least at road america the pits are open the whole day to walk though and see the teams working, and they try to get the fans as close to the cars and drivers as possible. They even put all of the cars on the false grid and let you walk up and down and look at all of them before the race starts.

I don't know if things will be that open at Daytona... but from what I have seen on TV it looks pretty laid back there too.

The infield is just a huge camping party at RA, and it appears to be the same at Daytona.

Rolex24 is one of my bucket list races... keep us posted on your experiance.
Old 08-24-2016   #3
DisplacedNE
CICENet Posting Master

Awesome! I have been working on the wife for 5 years of this. So far, failure...even with her having family in Daytona. Enjoy, hopefully get to learn from your experience.

CIR SCCA Member - schedule
CCSCC Member - schedule
DisplacedNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #4
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member

Digitalscience = Phil Cheshire, now living in Jacksonville, FL.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #5
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3papa View Post
Digitalscience = Phil Cheshire, now living in Jacksonville, FL.
SC... FL, I was close. Does he run any national events?
Old 08-25-2016   #6
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
SC... FL, I was close. Does he run any national events?
He used to live in Macon, Georgia and may have had a stint in SC before moving to FL. He doesn't hit any Nat'l events lately but did hit the Dixie Tour one year. Most recently, he sold his XP BMW 325 with the Ford 5.0L transplant in it.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #7
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

I think you all miss the point that Pete was trying to make a joke. He and Phil worked on many autox timing and CCSCC website related issues.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016   #8
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
I think you all miss the point that Pete was trying to make a joke. He and Phil worked on many autox timing and CCSCC website related issues.
Bingo, haven't heard from him in forever and last login was 2012. I got what I wanted (an update) even if they didn't get the joke.

My experience so far is:
1. Do not plan to fly on Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. Flights are double price on these days already.
2. It's August, and the cheap rooms at top hotels are mostly booked for Friday already. Still some gems available on Saturday.
3. All of the hotels in the area require a nonrefundable 1 night deposit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
It is by far the most laid back and open professional race I have ever been to. There is no assigned seating, at least at road america the pits are open the whole day to walk though and see the teams working, and they try to get the fans as close to the cars and drivers as possible. They even put all of the cars on the false grid and let you walk up and down and look at all of them before the race starts.

I don't know if things will be that open at Daytona... but from what I have seen on TV it looks pretty laid back there too.

The infield is just a huge camping party at RA, and it appears to be the same at Daytona.
This sounds awesome. The boy is going to love it.

At first I wanted to figure out a tent rental and camp, but then I don't want to deal with the logistics of that without having a rental car. I'll probably send the fam to the hotel around 8 and either stay up all night or head back around 11-1 ish. Might end up as one of those fools sleeping in the bleachers. Who knows.
Old 11-06-2016   #9
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Just bought my ticket

GRM did their "experience" package again, but since it sold out in 5 minutes back in June, they set up another package for 2-day tickets and released it last week. Glad I procrastinated! Basically the same price as 2-day pass with garage access, but I get $5 concession credit and the GRM breakfast on Sunday as well. Good deal, if anyone was on the fence.

I have an Airbnb by the river with 11am checkout, and flying out Sunday at 530pm, so either looking at a lot of ubering back and forth to make the Sunday breakfast, or maybe I'll try to figure out a bike rental.
Old 01-29-2017   #10
jvb6806
Administrator

Awesome race! Little harry for the DPI finish but gtlm racing was awesome for 24 full hours.

With 7 mins left I think they said 2 combined second covered the leaders in 3 of the 4 classes. I'm so glad the racing season has started!