Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 07-31-2014   #1
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

STF the Journey

I need to simplify my life and get rid of all the broken cars in my driveway to focus on my new challenging job, family and building a garage. So I agreed to pay money for this tomorrow. I really love the color combo and the price he agreed to.

It needs a little bit to be STF legal and a really good cleaning, but considering I now drive nearly 60 miles daily, my wallet will really like the north of 25 mpg fuel mileage.

Probably gonna ask a lot of questions to all the Ford owners soon.

Last edited by Adam; 12-07-2016 at 09:51 AM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2014   #2
EddieEX
CICENet Posting Master

Cool! I was really tempted by that car. I wanted to make it into a rallycross car but thought better of it (too many cars, too many projects etc.). I loved my ugly ass 08 focus and still regret trading it in for a truck I only kept for 9 months.
I have a set of powder coated rear lower control arms with poly bushings sitting in my garage if you want them. Should fit that car. I will look and see if I have any other focus stuff laying around but I think most of it is cleared out.
EddieEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #3
trojmn
CICENet Senior Guru

woot congrats!

im a big fan of "simplify life" projects though something complicated always gets piled on. so good luck with that i hope you do better at it than I

60miles a day? pfffftt whatever that's nothing.
trojmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014   #4
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Well, if you need spare parts, I think I have more Focus stuff than Coultas at this point. I do have a factory header and catalyst you can borrow, but I'd like to keep those around for myself in case I decide to de-mod and sell instead of scrap my car.

I'm also full of free advice, some good some bad, so just tell me to shut up if you want.

Could see 23-25 city with a heavy foot, but 28 normally and 33-35 highway. The regular Focus Zetec does not have VVT or intake flaps or anything fancy like that, so the mileage is disappointing relative to modern 1.6/2.0L 2600lb cars.

The SPC camber/caster plates are good and cheap, and despite what the forums say, if you install them correctly, they will not make noise. (Source: Using them myself for a year now.) This will be your best bang/buck mod for STF, after a set of your favorite flavor of 200utqg, of course.

Join the Focus parts for sale group on facespace for deals on springs, wheels, etc. Most of the springs are basically the same (undersprung for srsbzns but fine for you) and would love to be paired with a set of STR.T shocks (which are digressive ). I would try for the H&R Sport, but not Race. The Race are too low. The Sport have some of the highest rates available on OTS springs. Progress also had pretty high rates. By "high" I mean like 150 front and 200-250 rear.

Careful with huge rear bars, they tend to fatigue the control arms since the endlink mounts directly to a stress concentrator that is already in cyclic bending. Reinforce the hole if you go any bigger than stock at all, even to the SVT size. Some people have had arm failures on even the stock rear bar in stock class (rcomp grip and lots of suspension movement makes for a lot of stress on the bar).

Rear bushing refresh will be critical to getting the rear end to do what you want it to on course. The toe arms, Nathan's lowers, the upper camber arms, and the trailing arm bushings will all need serious help on a car that old. The front lower bushings make a huge difference in steering response as well, but from what I know about the cars you like to autox, you will get by just fine on the factory front bushings.

ALL of the bolts in the rear suspension are fused to the metal spacers. I have not seen the car, but I can guarantee you this fact. So, if you do the bushing refresh, prepare for a long weekend of cutting and budget $50-100 for new hardware.

Also, there is some play in the upper rear shock mount. There are some delrin washers some guy was selling on the forum forever ago, but basically the idea is you need to take up some space with something solid. I don't have the same shock setup, so I never had to deal with it. Sorry I can't be more help from memory on this.

Do a power steering flush before the first event. I started boiling the oil toward the end of my car's autox life. It takes about 2 quarts of Mercon V, self-bleeding. Convenient fitting or hose should be near the "cooler" which is just a metal tube in front of the radiator, or just unbolt the plate at the rack and pull the lines.

For brakes, there is/was a nice $600 "rally brake kit" that is basically a whole new brake system with 30mm bigger fronts and rear discs. Or, just install EBC Green in the factory caliper, bleed with Valvoline, and go have fun.

...That's all for now, I guess. Ask away for anything else.

Last edited by illinipo; 07-31-2014 at 11:31 PM.
illinipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #5
EddieEX
CICENet Posting Master

Ford did eventually reinforce the rear control arms. I can't remember the exact year (06 maybe?...lots changed in 06). I know my 08 had the reinforcement around the sway bar attachment point. The powder coated LCAs that I have are not the reinforced ones. Reinforcement isn't hard to do yourself either. Ford just welded a plate around the hole.
I had a big rear sway bar and decided it was way too much. I went to a stock bar (my car was not equipped from the factory with a rear sway) and was much happier. I used the ford racing springs and shocks. They were way better than stock but definitely go the route Pete suggested there.
EddieEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #6
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

Thanks guys. I'm sure you will have me up to speed quickly. First things first. Clean the drive way and the garage before taking apart the new to me car.
Old 08-01-2014   #7
chris101
CICENet Posting Master

Nice! We contemplated a Focus ourselves a few times for a track rat!

Gluck and have fun!
chris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014   #8
nocones
CICENet Posting Master

So STF is going to become a bit of a thing locally huh?
Old 08-01-2014   #9
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocones View Post
So STF is going to become a bit of a thing locally huh?
Yes, but it appears it is also getting picked up by really good drivers on national level. I guess I was wrong when I thought that people would rather run econoboxes unmodified. Not having to compete against "God's Chariot" got people re-considering ST autox the cheap way. And with STF running basically slightly faster the HSR used to, that makes sense.
Old 08-01-2014   #10
feldy
CICENet Posting Master

Lets get a part out going on the wrx. How much for the brakes.
feldy is offline   Reply With Quote