Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 04-03-2013   #11
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazny View Post
just to move from PM to forum proper...

What spring rates are you ending up with? That should go a long way to helping your sway decisions.

One thing I didn't care for with the larger rear sway was our engineering makes that path get in the way of dropping the car too much. I always had issues with the @$$ hanging up high. And without a proper diff I'd think you don't want any more bar back there.
The spring rate from the factory is 120/350 and the Eibach Pro-Kits that come with B12 Bilsteins are 148/457.

Nothing crazy, I still drive the car to work every day. I am not a national level driver so I am not trying to build a national level car. If I can be in the top 30 in PAX at a TSSCC event or top 20 with the CCSCC it is a good day for me. Top 20 is my goal for the TSSCC events this year, so we will see how it shakes out.

I will PM you about that sway bar.

Last edited by jvb6806; 04-04-2013 at 04:39 PM.
jvb6806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2013   #12
jvb6806
Administrator

emmanuel.... a little help here.

Old 04-17-2013   #13
jvb6806
Administrator

All of my parts showed up this morning after a bit of a holdup trying to get some of the OE parts from BMW. I ordered everything I needed to build new shock towers so I wasn't swapping over 30k mile coil spring bushings.

more expensive boxes...

better than xmas morning...

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs

Bilstein B12 Shocks (valved for pro-kits)

K-MAC Caster/Camber Plates

building new front strut assembly

Assembled and ready to go on the car

I am going to start pulling the car apart tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it all on there and aligned, put a few hundred miles on it, realign on saturday afternoon, and beat the crap out of them on Sunday with the TSSCC.

The removal of my brothers RV from storage was switched last min to this Saturday, so i am not going to make the CCSCC event. Once the summer starts I plan on being at most of them this year.
Old 04-18-2013   #14
jvb6806
Administrator

More tomorrow after I put the first alignment on it.

Waiting for tomorrow morning.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-20-2013   #15
jleez
CICENet Guru

Lookin' good!
Old 04-20-2013   #16
jvb6806
Administrator

HUGE thanks to MoeBawlz and a former student that were there working on this with me until 11:30 Thursday night.

the new suspension is in and it I like it so far. We will see how it goes tomorrow, but first impressions are that it is a bit stiffer but still acceptable for daily driving. It almost feels like the car should have come from the factory.

After fighting with the front end for quite a while I finally looked at the service manual and realized that trying to pull out the shock w/o disconnecting all of the control arms and removing the entire knuckle was a losing battle.

Once the knuckle was out the old one slide out with a little lovin'.

the bilsteins slid right in

Back up in the car and reconnected the control arms, wheel speed sensor, brake wear indicator, active headlight adjustment arm, and tie rod end. I am shocked that i didn't have at least one code after pulling all that crap off.

front ride height.

It sits a little higher now because I misread the directions the 1st time I assembled the shocks and put the wrong washers in there. The correct conical washer raised the ride height about .5" but now it doesn't make horrible noises.

On to the back...

All of the interior panels had to come out to get to the top shock mounts.

Pulled 3 of the 4 arms off of the back to drop the spring out

OE vs Bilstein

OE vs Eibach

new parts up and in

rear ride height

On the ground for the 1st time

I set the alignment to -2.5deg in the front and -2deg in the rear with 0 toe front and OE toe-in in the back. I just picked up an M3 Convertible front sway from Mrazny last night so i may adjust the rear toe if it pushes tomorrow.

I drove it home last night just in time for the snow.

old ride height

I put some miles on it today getting my brothers 73 dodge travco out of storage. I have put about 100 miles since yesterday afternoon and it looks like the suspension has settled. I am going to throw the front sway on tonight and align it one last time before TSSCC Event #1 tomorrow.

Switching to STX is worth the money to me simply because I don't have to wake up 30 mins earlier to swap out 4 wheels in a parking lot. That got old real quick.

I am also ordering tires as soon as I finish this post so it will have alignment #3 after those are on.

I just have to decide if I want to run the RS3's again and try the new dunlops...

Last edited by jvb6806; 04-20-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2013   #17
jvb6806
Administrator

Ran up to work again today to throw on the E93 M3 Convertible sway bar (stock is 26mm out and 19mm in the middle vs 28mm out and 26.5mm in the middle).

I put in 6.5 litres of AMSOIL 5-30 European blend in (that was a good plug right david )

Then I threw it back on the rack for one more alignment.

I just ordered a set of 225/45/17 Dunlop Direzza ZII's from a local tire shop I work with a lot up here. Those should be in on Tuesday.

I am going to run with factory toe settings tomorrow but if any BMW folks have suggestions please let me know. I will probably set one or both of them both to 0 for the next event and see what happens.

I'm getting new tires in 2 days so I just wanted it close. The rears weren't that far out from what I yesterday so i left them alone even though the camber was a bit off on the left one.

Thanks again to Moe for giving me hand this afternoon.

Current Specs (looks like the wheel got bumped a little but you get the idea)

Last edited by jvb6806; 04-20-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2013   #18
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Having BT and DT, and not gotten any T-shirts, I bid you godspeed with 0 rear toe.

We landed at the top end of BMW spec (~.25) after struggling with catastrophic throttle oversteer.
illinipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013   #19
jvb6806
Administrator

I just got home from TSSCC Event #1 and it certainly was a learning experience. The car is a completely different animal. A combination of an incompetent driver, rooted 3 year old RS3's, and a completely new suspension and geometry lead to 3 full spins and 1 run ruined by a massive slide. The two clean runs I had were slow because I felt that if I gave it any power at all the back end would slide around on me. I had little to no confidence. I was bringing the pressures down in the tires all day and it got a little better towards the end. It is a good thing I didn't go 0 toe in the back.

I am going to throw the new tires on and see what happens but I have a feeling I might need to go with 0 toe in the front and maybe bring the rear in a bit. I would be SHOCKED if I was mid pack in PAX.

It was embarrassing.
Old 04-22-2013   #20
ghey
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
It was embarrassing.
It could be worse! You could be Nick Mullen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_E View Post
I am likely more intelligent than you are, actually, and I really wouldn't doubt it
Quoted for eternal truth
ghey is offline   Reply With Quote