Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 03-17-2014   #101
prostcj
CICENet Posting Master

Looks like this "cheap" BMW isn't so cheap anymore. Nice build!

http://www.astrobin.com/users/prostcj/
prostcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014   #102
mrazny
CICENet Guru

Running into that hub fitment crap at the end of a long day sucked hard 2 years ago. It sat okay with a 3mm spacer so we just went with that.

The cross brace is pretty flimsy and I do remember a beefier one sold somewhere. I never looked at it seriously since the berk pipes fit underneath it just fine.

I can't imagine the e8x to be much different than every BMW as far as rake. I had way too much, but playing with the heights wasn't something I did too much of before the e36. I'd guess don't go less than .5" rear biased rake.

Are you thinking about ditching the boat anchor battery?
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014   #103
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostcj View Post
Looks like this "cheap" BMW isn't so cheap anymore. Nice build!
I still haven't spent my way to a 135, and the car is pretty fun to drive. But my quiet comfortable car is now kinda bumpy and a little loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazny View Post
Running into that hub fitment crap at the end of a long day sucked hard 2 years ago. It sat okay with a 3mm spacer so we just went with that.

Are you thinking about ditching the boat anchor battery?
I could probably go a little thinner spacer up front... but it is still pretty tight in there. If it doesn't rub up front on track I'll just leave it alone.

I went over to A&L Autobody which is affiliated with IND up here in palatine to see if they would roll my fenders. The back just barely touches when the suspension is fully jounced. The inner fender is already rolled over so there is no damage to the tire from the few times it has happened.

When I talked to the owner he said that they were booked up though the 2nd week of April and wouldn't have time to do it before I go racing. Instead he gave me the fender roller and said to bring it back when I was done.

so.... I am going to practice on a shop car, and maybe a students car who needs a fender roll, and see what happens. If I screw it up I know a body shop to take it to.

Last edited by jvb6806; 03-18-2014 at 08:31 PM.
jvb6806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014   #104
jvb6806
Administrator

I re-aligned the car this afternoon and rolled the fenders. I took the car out around the same route that I took last time and it didn't rub. So all seems well.

I have the spec sheet on the alignment machine computer. I'll pull that off tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2014   #105
NewScooby
CICENet Posting Master

With the nice weather yesterday I put on the summer wheels/tires. No rubbing that I can hear or see so far, but I will pull them off and take a look Saturday when I install the coilovers, M3 arms, subframe bushings, and drop the ride height down.

I like having 245's in the front. Steering feel is great the added grip just makes the stock suspension feel way too soft.

Attachment 1409

Attachment 1410

how did the rolling go? I might need a slight roll in the front to get the ride height I want

Last edited by NewScooby; 04-04-2014 at 07:50 PM.
NewScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014   #106
mrazny
CICENet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
I re-aligned the car this afternoon and rolled the fenders. I took the car out around the same route that I took last time and it didn't rub. So all seems well.

I have the spec sheet on the alignment machine computer. I'll pull that off tomorrow.
Alignments, not sure we'll get to that. Stupid weather. We're on *maybe* motor mounts and fluid flush that'll get done by season. VANOS job will likely have to wait. URG

Doing the roll on a '93 had zero fucks given glad you got through it on a nice car.
Old 03-21-2014   #107
mrazny
CICENet Guru

and Anthony is the shit by the way.

True story.

Talked to them about the Diff job, they pass me a quote. I ask about throwing in the sub frame bushings because it's a true PITA. They tell me $100. Awesome.

Get in there, Anthony runs the numbers, sees the misquote, simply says, "wow, you got an awesome quote. Sucks for us". Labor quote was 2 hours total for all parts of the job. He honored it even though all told it took them 2 days.
Old 03-21-2014   #108
jvb6806
Administrator

Anthony is a cool guy. He was going out of town this week and he let me borrow the roller without a deposit or even asking my name.

I asked if he wanted my number or anything he said "only one person has borrowed the roller and not brought it back, so I bought a new one."

Seems like a nice guy, and he has earned my future business. I might give him a call when it comes time to do the diff next year.

The render roll wasn't a big deal in the back because there is a white under body coating in there, there wasn't any paint in there to crack. There was also already a crease in the fender from where the tire hit and pushed it up so starting the roll wasn't a big deal either.

Mike, let me know if you want to fire out an alignment this week. I am on spring break.
Old 04-08-2014   #109
mrazny
CICENet Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
Anthony is a cool guy. He was going out of town this week and he let me borrow the roller without a deposit or even asking my name.

I asked if he wanted my number or anything he said "only one person has borrowed the roller and not brought it back, so I bought a new one."

Seems like a nice guy, and he has earned my future business. I might give him a call when it comes time to do the diff next year.

The render roll wasn't a big deal in the back because there is a white under body coating in there, there wasn't any paint in there to crack. There was also already a crease in the fender from where the tire hit and pushed it up so starting the roll wasn't a big deal either.

Mike, let me know if you want to fire out an alignment this week. I am on spring break.
Best laid plans and all that... Turned out to be a REALLY busy few weeks.

Those alignment specs look good. I'm sure with $$$ 3 and a little bit is doable, but 2.5 with a good front bar should keep the curve in check I think.
Old 04-08-2014   #110
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazny View Post
Those alignment specs look good. I'm sure with $$$ 3 and a little bit is doable, but 2.5 with a good front bar should keep the curve in check I think.
My fastest run last week was at the lowest front pressures and it just started to roll over a bit. So i am going to start with the pressures at 35 in the front and go up to 3deg of camber up front for Saturday. We'll see how it goes.

I can get 4 deg out of the front if I wanted to. There is plenty of room to move in the camber plates because my shocks are not adjustable. I can push the whole shock top under the top plate.

Last edited by jvb6806; 04-08-2014 at 02:29 PM.
jvb6806 is offline   Reply With Quote