Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 03-30-2013   #1
jvb6806
Administrator

128i STX Build Thread

So last week I was bored and reading the April fast track I decided it was time to waste some money and get out of DS. I decided that I would jump up to STX and see how well I can hang with the other RWD coupes on street tires.

I just threw on an aFe sealed intake (air box) and will be ordering my suspension on Monday or Tuesday of this week.

The website says I gained 15hp from the air box and I choose to believe it

I will be ordering the Bilstein B12 Kit which includes a set of Monotube shocks valved for Eibach ProKit springs. I know I should order coilovers but the ones I would want are $1200 more than this kit, and I would rather spend that money elsewhere on the car. This is also my daily driver and I don't want to damage my spine over every bump like I did in the EVO.

I am also looking at a few different camber/caster plate options. I am either looking at the TMS camber plates, or the Vorshlag Camber/Caster plates if they are available for the Eibach spring size.

I am up in the air about the doing the M3 front sway bar. From what I understand just the front bar will make the car push though the sweepers but with an aggressive alignment it might give me the turn in I am looking for. I will have to see.

I am also planning on sending the ECM out to TMS to have it tuned. They are the only place I have seen that has a tune for the N51.

The RS3's should be burned off fairly early in the season and I have been looking longingly at the new Dunlop ZII.

The diff is out of the question for this year due to the welded ring gear, but hopefully next year if I don't do something stupid like buy a house. There is a company in California that supposedly does all the machine work to separate the ring gear from the carrier and will install either a Quaife or OS Giken but that is still big bucks and the car would be down for a while. Long story short an LSD would run me about $4k.

I am looking forward to hearing your input. (jeff & clark)

Last edited by jvb6806; 03-30-2013 at 11:44 PM.
jvb6806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2013   #2
feldy
CICENet Posting Master

Welcome to Stx.
feldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #3
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member

Vorshlag all the way on the camber plates. Weight reduction is the major issue in STX.
Old 03-31-2013   #4
Mr. Pockets
CICENet Posting Master

Where were you guys when I was running STX?

I suppose I was just ahead of my time.
Mr. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #5
dnace
Administrator

Rear sway!

Sent by droid
#82 Shenanigan's Racing STR S2000
www.shenanigansracing.com
dnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #6
ghey
CICENet Posting Master

The aFe logo is what added the horsepower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen_E View Post
I am likely more intelligent than you are, actually, and I really wouldn't doubt it
Quoted for eternal truth
ghey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #7
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghey View Post
The aFe logo is what added the horsepower!
and the price tag... i was expecting the box to glow like pulp fiction when I opened it.

Dave~ the rear sway will go in if/when I do the differential. The whole back of the car needs to come off to get a new bar in there. It is a HUGE pain in the arse.
Old 04-01-2013   #8
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
Where were you guys when I was running STX?

I suppose I was just ahead of my time.
When you were running STX I was all by myself in BSP.

I am headed to VS Motorsports after work today to see if they are a Bilstein distributor. If not back to the TMS website.
Old 04-01-2013   #9
jvb6806
Administrator

I tried all of my local speed shops and none of them are Bilstein distributors. I also learned that VS Motorsports closed shop in February. I went to another place up here that specializes in Euro cars and they focus on super expensive titanium exhausts & 'styling'. The guy started to tell me about all the build quality issues with Bilstein.

When I got home I call Chris at TMS and he got me set up with the Bilstein B12 kit, K-MAC Camber/Caster Plates for this application (Vorshlag not available), & new OE inserts and washers so I can build these without blowing up my front struts and swapping parts over.

I will be reusing some of the rear bushings and mounts but those have to come out to remove the old stuff anyways.

I am expecting a package at the end of this week or early next week. They had to order the struts and springs directly from Bilstein and then they will ship them 2 day to me.
Old 04-03-2013   #10
mrazny
CICENet Guru

just to move from PM to forum proper...

What spring rates are you ending up with? That should go a long way to helping your sway decisions.

One thing I didn't care for with the larger rear sway was our engineering makes that path get in the way of dropping the car too much. I always had issues with the @$$ hanging up high. And without a proper diff I'd think you don't want any more bar back there.
mrazny is offline   Reply With Quote