Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 03-10-2017   #1
Kazz5
Member of 'The Zoo'

Portable Compressor or Tank?

My old tank's too big and the valve's shot. I understand I can fix the latter but would obviously be stuck with a too-big tank to lug around.

What's working best for folks these days?

The portable compressors have been out for some time. But some (all?) take a long time to get to desired inflation pressures before and after an event. But the technology around it is rolled into combination jump starters and USB chargers. That sounds like something to just keep in the car and recharge when needed.

Otherwise, I can just get over to Harbor Frieght and pick up a new, smaller tank.

I appreciate your thoughts and experience on this!
Old 03-10-2017   #2
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

This was just discussed on another forum and this was the widely accepted winner. It can be bad either with a lighter plug or with more amperage straight off the battery. It will be what I would purchase when my trusty Mazda 12V air pump dies.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #3
RacerX11
CICENet Posting Master

Are you already invested in a cordless power tool platform (Dewalt, Ryobi, Craftsman, etc)? If so, most will make a cordless inflator.

As an example, the Ryobi 18V model is only $20 (tool only, no battery). Mine works great for tire pressure adjustments at the track, and uses the same batteries as the cordless impact.

Marty
RacerX11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #4
jako
CICENet Posting Master

I paid $25-ish for this one 7-8 years ago.

The cord where it goes into the pump started to fray so I had to trim it back and reconnect it but that's about it.
"It's ok... the shower curtain has suction cups."

Last edited by jako; 03-10-2017 at 02:17 PM.
jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #5
Kazz5
Member of 'The Zoo'

I really screwed up the multi-quote reply thing, sorry. But at least I now have you all in one reply! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX11 View Post
Are you already invested in a cordless power tool platform (Dewalt, Ryobi, Craftsman, etc)? If so, most will make a cordless inflator.

As an example, the Ryobi 18V model is only $20 (tool only, no battery). Mine works great for tire pressure adjustments at the track, and uses the same batteries as the cordless impact.

Marty
I purchased a Sears impact with two batteries a number of years ago. They're NiCad, unfortunately. I'll see if there's a compressor for that. Since I wasn't going to be changing wheels for the FiST, I completely forgot about an impact! Something else to add to the tools list! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jako View Post
I paid $25-ish for this one 7-8 years ago.

The cord where it goes into the pump started to fray so I had to trim it back and reconnect it but that's about it.
Dedicated, single-function. I was kind of hoping to combine some functionality. But I Wishlisted this for now. Thanks for the review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
This was just discussed on another forum and this was the widely accepted winner. It can be bad either with a lighter plug or with more amperage straight off the battery. It will be what I would purchase when my trusty Mazda 12V air pump dies.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Again, single-function. But this looks a bit more durable,etc. Wishlisted as well. It seems that when it comes to a compressor, do a dedicated device or just do a tank. Compressors are much more versatile, I'd think. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2017   #6
The Mouse That Roared
Evolved CICENet Member

I have gone through several of these Campbell Hausfield rechargeable tire inflators:
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aaea_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-cpo-master-catalog/default/dwf70d543e/product_media/cbh/cbhncc2300/images/large/cbhncc2300.jpg
http://www.cpocampbellhausfeld.com/c...FUYdgQodrk4BTg
They were available at Lowe's or Home Depot for around $55. But not now for several years.
It has a 12 volt battery and is rechargeable. The battery seems to wear poorly and get weak after a year. But new batteries are available on Ebay for around $12.
Even with a fresh battery, it is not fast.
I had one that wore the pump out after replacing the battery a couple times.
It does have a quick disconnect for the valve so no threading on or loosing air while unthreading.
The Mouse That Roared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #7
Kazz5
Member of 'The Zoo'

I decided that I needed to move to the 19.2v Li-ion platform and went Craftsman. I'll move my old Ni-Cad impact kit in this Spring's yard sale, I guess.

Thanks for the input, folks!