Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 05-17-2010   #11
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member

While I have the greatest respect for Andy Hollis as a driver and source of advice, and feel these tips are very good, there comes a time when you really need to explore the limits which tends to contradict #3 and a throttle lift noted #4 in my car can produce some damn interesting results. That doesn't mean I won't be thinking about some of these at the events to come.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2010   #12
amitchVT
Evolved CICENet Member

This is all great advice, especially about the slalom techniques. That is one aspect of my driving that I really want to work on this year.
amitchVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #13
mellephants
CICENet Posting Master

thanks for posting this.
mellephants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #14
NOPIS10
CICENet Posting Master

All great advice especially this:

Quote:
8] Attack the back. For slaloms (also applicable to most offsets), getting close to the cones is critical for quick times (see #1). To get close, we must move the car less, which means bigger arcs. Bigger arcs come from less steering and require earlier turning (see #2). Now for the fun part… When you go by a slalom cone and start turning the steering wheel back the other way, when does the car start to actually change direction? Answer: When the wheel crosses the center point (Not when you first start turning back!) How long does that take? If you are smooth, it takes .25 - .5 seconds. Now, how long is a typical person’s reaction time? Answer: about .5 seconds. Finally, how long does it take to go between slalom cones? Answer: Typically on the order of 1 second. Given all of that, your brain must make the decision to begin turning the steering wheel back the other way just *before* you go by the previous cone!!
I was trying to pound this into the heads of my students this year a lot. I hope it came out understandable. I probably do the same thing but I am amazed at how many people turn after the cone. You just won't get as close and you'll end up understeering into the next cone if you turn in late on the slalom.

Zoom Zoom

NOPIS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #15
dnace
Administrator

haha technique I tried to talk into every student I meet. Turn before the cone in a slalom, if you do it right you touch the base of the cones without tipping them over.
#82 Shenanigan's Racing STR S2000
www.shenanigansracing.com
dnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010   #16
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnace View Post
haha technique I tried to talk into every student I meet. Turn before the cone in a slalom, if you do it right you touch the base of the cones without tipping them over.
Both this and Hollis comment explain why I am really weak at slaloms. I know what you have to do but execution is lacking.
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #17
zxtwou2
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnace View Post
yup...you know you are hitting the slaloms right when you see the workers run out to nudge the cone back into the square and you don't get any penalties whenever i work a slalom, the fastest guys are always the ones that just wiggle the cones an inch or so. sure is faster, but it makes me run more

#582 FSP

John Deere Blitz Black Crew, Member #002
zxtwou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010   #18
dnace
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxtwou2 View Post
yup...you know you are hitting the slaloms right when you see the workers run out to nudge the cone back into the square and you don't get any penalties whenever i work a slalom, the fastest guys are always the ones that just wiggle the cones an inch or so. sure is faster, but it makes me run more
haha yeah more work. I love to nudge the cones in the slaloms, problem is its either just nudge them or knock them over so I often cone these runs.
#82 Shenanigan's Racing STR S2000
www.shenanigansracing.com
dnace is offline   Reply With Quote