Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 08-03-2017   #21
jvb6806
Administrator

I went back up tonight with the intention to knock out the control arms and the rear drums but the car had other ideas.

The $50 ebay aluminum arms are pretty...

As you can see the inner bushing on the right arm was blasted...

You will note that they are straight aluminum with all of the bushings straight though. The downside to this design is that they do not match the OE control arms...

Looking at pictures of other arms I think these are a bad set. All of the pictures have the angle on them.

They should look like this...

But this is what we are working with...

So you get what you pay for. After separating the two pieces of the front arm the rear section had to come off the body of the car because the rear bushing is more compliant than the ones in these arms. An email is being send to the seller so we'll see if they send out the what I assume is updated version of these arms.

But they look pretty and the front end isn't as lazy as it was earlier this afternoon.

I went to tackle the rear arms but Honda uses 10 m bolts threaded into weld nuts for the rear suspension and the 1st one I put the impact on snapped with a half pull of the trigger... so that was that for the night.

I am going to get an induction heater on the weld nuts and see if I can get those out... but I am not optimistic about it. I would bet they are chemically welded all the way though the sleeves. I'll add a box of sawzall blades to the LeMons price list. I should have known better though, the last civic I worked on did the same thing... I should have left the rear alone.
Old 08-04-2017   #22
jako
CICENet Posting Master

Time to add a little custom curvature to the eBay arms?
"It's ok... the shower curtain has suction cups."
jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017   #23
jvb6806
Administrator

A corrected version of the arms was shipped this afternoon and should be here early next week. Jako and did the drums and bled the system with motul600 this afternoon and the car stops now.

New goal is to get the arms on by the middle of next week and maybe get this out to the Chicago Region event in Joliet next Sunday (fingers crossed).

If anyone knows a guy that knows a guy with a set of 15" Rota Slipstreams for sale please let me know. I would like to have a set of street tires for this thing so we aren't running around on R-Comps every time I can't get a hold of the trailer.
Old 08-06-2017   #24
jako
CICENet Posting Master

Drum brakes rank up near the top of my list of most annoying automotive ideas. Not as bad as rotary engines but close.
Old 08-06-2017   #25
jvb6806
Administrator

yeah... I hate drums.
Old 08-23-2017   #26
jvb6806
Administrator

The new arms came in and I threw those on earlier this week. The bushing still looks jacked up in there... but at least it isn't pushed over at an angle like it was before.

I readjusted the rear drums so now the emergency brake functions better than it did before, and they should stop evenly now.

After snapping the bolt off in the lower shock weld nut I used a torch to get the other ones to spin out of the weld nuts. Luckily I was able to save all of the weld nuts on the body and the spindles but a couple of the bolts were seized into the sleeves. As they spun out they destroyed the bushings in the factory arms (as expected) and the drivers side rear mount on the knuckle bent outward as the bolt came out. I hammered it back into shape and ran a tap though all of the weld nuts. New 10.9 10m-1.25 hardware is on order and should be arriving at fastenal this morning.

On the passenger side I had to drop the lower arm and the shock as one piece and cut the weld nut off. I cut the weld nut off the other side as well.

So this is how it sits just waiting for the hardware. I should have this thing road worthy by this afternoon.

After getting these things down I can tell you... new eBay arms for $110 is the best money spent so far on this car. So far they have gone on smoothly and I did NOT want to buy $80 in bushings and press them out/in to try and save a couple of bucks. It just isn't worth it.

I also made a call to Rhodes Race Cars yesterday and I should be getting a call from their cage builder this afternoon to discuss bar locations, and I will decided if I am going to buy their hoops or try and make this all myself. I am leaning more towards buying their main sections and making my own door bars. We haven't decided if we are going to go with nascar door bars or try and keep the glass in the car.

http://www.rhodesracecars.com/Lemons...L_p_10245.html

The wheels were ordered from WheelDude last week but I still have not received a shipping confirmation, I will call them tomorrow and see what the deal is.
Old 08-23-2017   #27
jvb6806
Administrator

I'm going to throw it on the alignment rack tomorrow and it'll be ready for Joliet on Sunday... if I can figure out a way to get it down there.

Old 08-23-2017   #28
jako
CICENet Posting Master

I like it. It's appropriately ricey with the oxidized paint and the rust right next to bright red control arms.
Old 08-24-2017   #29
jvb6806
Administrator

new wheels arrived today, and I threw on the set of scrubbed in re71r's we picked up from adam.

Apart from being a 4x4 the car looks pretty good for what it is. Steering feels much better with out those blasted bushings.

I'm up in the air on if I should drive the del sol or the white car this weekend in joliet... We are on track for Autobahn CC on the September 8th though.
Old 08-25-2017   #30
jako
CICENet Posting Master

We should plastidip them gold...