Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Track Events

Old 01-27-2017   #1
Mr. Pockets
CICENet Posting Master

NASA Great Lakes 2017 Schedule

I keep meaning to post NASA GL's 2017 schedule. So here it is!

http://www.nasamidwest.com/Schedule.aspx

I plan on running as many of those events as possible in TT. Let me know if you're interested. I can fill you in on what the events are like.

I have found NASA to be an incredibly well-organized and inviting club. Each day at a track is scheduled down to the minute, and tends to run on that schedule. It's really something to see.

I don't know of another club that does such a good job at helping drivers climb a skill ladder. The instructors are great, the curriculum is really well developed, and conduct on track is amazing. We help people be drivers we want to share the track with. If you have more questions about it, ask Scott - he has spent some time as a student with us now.

Besides that, you see some really neat cars, driven by very good, friendly drivers. I have seen Daytona Prototypes, Maserati GT cars, insane engine-swapped TT cars, etc. The community is incredibly supportive - when i crashed at Road America last Spring, I had people coming up to me all day offering to help and making sure I was okay. I had any tool at my disposal I could possibly ask for.

Have a great season, and I hope some of you decide to come give NASA events a try. I know I wish I hadn't waited so long to give it a shot.

Nick
Mr. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2017   #2
nocones
CICENet Posting Master

Other then a large pair of brass ones what would it take to run the MG at one of these?
Old 01-27-2017   #3
Rez
CICENet Posting Master

Oh yeah, I'm pretty much hooked. Already signed up for the Mid-Ohio weekend in April and going to do as many dates on the schedule as I can. Goal for this season is to work up to HPDE level 4, take the instructors class and start in with instructing asap. Events are insanely cheap once you start instructing- like $50 for two whole track days cheap.
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017   #4
Mr. Pockets
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocones View Post
Other then a large pair of brass ones what would it take to run the MG at one of these?
OMG please bring that car to an event. Please.

Seriously, here's a link to the NASA CCR: https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...282/2017.4.pdf

The HPDE technical requirements start on page 28. Take a look. HPDE tech is hardly more stringent than autocross, but a home-built car could get more scrutiny.

As for safety out on track, HPDE-1 is definitely 'driving as fast as you want on a real track,' but it's super controlled. Instructors with headsets are in every car, keeping drivers separated and passing safely. We run drills to get drivers used to on-track procedures. As drivers climb the HPDE ladder, they have more and more comfort with those around them. It's a neat thing to see in action.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 01-29-2017   #5
Jkruse
CICENet Senior Guru

I am going to try and convince the future wife to let me do the weekend at autobahn in july.
Jkruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017   #6
Rez
CICENet Posting Master

Nice Jake, I plan on going to that one as well.
Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017   #7
golf.sierra.
CICENet Senior Guru

Hey Nick,
I did my first NASA event this past weekend at Gateway.
I had a great time, was quite impressed with the organization. I had an awesome instructor from the Great Lakes region (Eric Meyer). Got a lot of track time (around 100 laps at the relatively short Gateway "roval") and really developed better comfort about being on track with other cars. Definitely more intense than the Midwestern Council HSAX events that I had done a few years ago. Although, I did miss not being able to check the time sheets to see how I did. Gonna have to work up to TT.

Geoffrey
golf.sierra. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017   #8
Mr. Pockets
CICENet Posting Master

That's fantastic to hear! You lucked out in a big way getting Eric as your instructor. That dude is a serious pro, but I'm sure you know that now. I'll let him know you had a great time.

NASA instruction is second to none when it comes to HPDE. I'm so glad you enjoyed the event. I had to miss it while I rebuild my engine, sadly.

The next event I'd like to make is Pitt Race in early June. If I can't make that, then Gingerman a couple weeks later.
Old 04-10-2017   #9
golf.sierra.
CICENet Senior Guru

I definitely want to go to the NCM event in the fall.
And I would like to find time to do one of the Autobahn events as well.
I'll keep my eyes open for you.
Good luck with the rebuild.
golf.sierra. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017   #10
PGibby
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets View Post
That's fantastic to hear! You lucked out in a big way getting Eric as your instructor. That dude is a serious pro, but I'm sure you know that now. I'll let him know you had a great time.

NASA instruction is second to none when it comes to HPDE. I'm so glad you enjoyed the event. I had to miss it while I rebuild my engine, sadly.

The next event I'd like to make is Pitt Race in early June. If I can't make that, then Gingerman a couple weeks later.
Eric is a great guy. Bought a few things off of him when he was still running Mazdas in the Koni series.