Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 07-12-2017   #11
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-X View Post
Did you take a before weight of the car? I'd be curious to see how much weight you take out over the whole project. Also it's a lemons car ... who cares about having side windows ... glass is heavy.
I want to keep the windows for storing the car outside.

I did not weigh the car, but if Jako hasn't returned the scales we borrowed I may have him bring them out this weekend and see where it sits. I can just throw all that crap back into the cabin.

I just ordered a universal 10 wire double window switch and a single switch. I will probably just use the double switch and wire both fronts to one and the rear window to the other. I may use the extra switch for the passenger door... but we'll see how ambitious I get. I also need to figure out how to hook up door locks because right now they are just the rods and it is a PITA.
Old 07-13-2017   #12
jako
CICENet Posting Master

I'll put the scales back in the car.
"It's ok... the shower curtain has suction cups."
jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #13
haunter
CICENet Posting Master

nice!
haunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #14
jvb6806
Administrator

I went up a few days the past week and did some minor stuff and started on the major surgery.

Everything but the dash is now out of the car, I put in the rest of the door handles (it needed all of them and some mechanical stuff inside the door), installed the new steering wheel, "Universal JDM" amazon shift knob, and wired up both of the window motors to a single switch on the drivers door.

Wheel (you can see the window switch hanging down too)

Jako and I are still borrowing a set of scales so I figured we would throw it up and see where we are at w/o the interior. 2,117 lbs isn't too bad. I am in the process of removing some more stuff but that is later in the post. I think I can get it close to 2,000 lbs when all is said and done.

Onto the major surgery...

Removed most of the A/C stuff last night as well as the cylinder head, timing set, and the water pump. I still need to put it all back together but a buddy and I were there until about midnight before we called it quits.

Can you guess which cylinder had the head gasket leak?

The leak...

I am going to try and get the motor back together by the end of next week but I had some stuff to do on the BMW this morning to get it ready for the chicago region scca autoX on Sunday. Nothing worth posting in the other thread... just an updated tune and swapped over to wheel studs because one of my extended lug studs snapped last week and I felt another one stretch when I was checking the torque between sessions at BHF.

That's all for now... I HOPE to have this thing down in rantoul for the last autoX of the year and out on autobahn CC. We'll see how it goes. I don't even know what class this thing would be in, but I'm sure the index will be something close to 1.000.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #15
jvb6806
Administrator

After racing all day in 90* heat and humidity a front came though and it cooled down to the 70's so I went up to work in the car again at a time when I wouldn't be quite as hot.

A buddy and I put the head back on, waterpump, and timing belt, and I was finally able to persuade the lower alternator bolt from it's home.

Tomorrows plan is to get the valve cover back on, timing cover, intake manifold, exhaust, and hoses. I want to try and have the alternator rebuilt but I am going to call and get a price tomorrow. I also need to pick up an injector because when I pulled the fuel rail the pintle cap was nowhere to be found. I cannot seem to find the correct pintle cap but a new is injector is ~$40. The injector missing the cap was also the cylinder with the head gasket issue... maybe causing lean issues and massive knock... who knows and who cars, it's almost back together now.

I just want to get it running again to run some ATF or Oil System Treatment though it to get rid of all the scum on the inside of the motor.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #16
jako
CICENet Posting Master

I say we run it in A-Mod just for grins. We can duke it out for PAX DFL. Probably raw DFL, too.

Ooh, maybe we can get 4 drivers and run the car in two classes to really run it in. Just make sure that AM and XP run opposite heats from each other.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #17
jvb6806
Administrator

funny story... it turns out that when a master honda tech tells you that you should pull the motor, have it machined, and use an OE MLS head gasket you should listen to him.

Everything came apart and went back together pretty close to plan but after discovering a missing pintle cap on one of the injectors I had to order a rebuilt injector. The injector came in this afternoon so I popped the fuel rail back on tonight and fired it up for the 1st time...

so yeah. This motor is not worth anymore time or money. I have access to a d16 and I am going to just swap the motor. If anyone knows my glass half full personality this will give me the opportunity to pull all of the emissions stuff out and generally clean up the engine bay.

so much for taking the easy route.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #18
jvb6806
Administrator

quick update...

I went back up the other day and pulled the valve cover and retorqued the head bolts. I missed the two connectors for the water temp sensors both to the ECU and the gauge. I hooked those back up and after cranking down the head bolts again the car seems to be smoking considerably less and now I can actually monitor the water temp w/o a laser pyro.

I ordered a set of centric coated rotors and some Hawk HP+ pads and went up today to throw those on and get a good look inside the wheel wells. Shockingly both of the calipers still had grease in the slides and the pistons moved back in easily. The inner bushing on the pass lower control arm is blasted so that will need to be addressed.

I also arrived to find the front left tire had exploded due to what I can only assume was...

followed by...

Jako ordered a set of 185/60/13 R888R's so I threw the spare on in the meantime.

I let the car idle for about 20 mins and it didn't overheat. I drove it around the parking lot for about 5 mins and the needle held steady in the middle.

So... I am cautiously optomistic. I think if I can get the drums swapped out, bleed the brakes (currently PB blasting the front bleeders), and address the front LCA bushings I can still get this out for an autoX this year. I am going to drain the coolant and put go straight water before that happens.

I am still in the mix for pts in chicago region, but I hope to bring this thing out for a TSSCC or CCSCC event by the end of the year. I am wondering how much of that smoke was all of the spider webs and animal nests that were in the exhaust pipe vs coolant. eh... fingers crossed it doesn't blow up.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #19
jako
CICENet Posting Master

Well, if it does blow up, we were going to have to swap the engine anyway.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #20
jvb6806
Administrator

I put in an hour or so this afternoon on the car an put on the new tires.

These things are adorable compared to the stones that came off the white car a few week ago...

I did learn that modern tire machines are just not made for 13" wheels. The arc on the head was .5" off the lip of the wheel which made mounting an already stiff bead more difficult. The 1st tire had a bit of a learning curve to it, but if figured out that I could mount it until it started to grab the inner bead and then use the spoon to pry the rest of the tire onto the wheel. The last 3 went smoothly.

The lower control arms and rear brakes arrived this afternoon and I might be going up to throw those on later tonight. Apart from the delay on turn in from the blasted bushings the car feels pretty ok for what it is. I am looking forward to showing E-Prepared what's up in this thing (not really).