Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Old 07-11-2017   #1
jvb6806
Administrator

LeMons Del Sol

As some of you have already found out I picked up a $300 93 Civic Del Sol S last weekend with an overheating issue. After knocking all of the rust out of the drums we pushed it up on the trailer. It would appear to have a bit of an exhaust leak as well.

After getting it to the shop I drained the oil and what came was at first very thin with what looked like a bit of a green tinge to it followed by VERY THICK oil that had chunks of what looked like axle grease mixed in with it. I poured a few qts of oil though the valve cover, changed out the oil filter and decided to give it a go.

A battery, fresh oil, a new set of plugs, a few taps on the starter motor and it actually fired. The Alternator is locked up so I cut the belt off and we were in business. The car drove around the lot with severely questionable brakes, but other than that it ran like champ for about 2 mins and held a smooth idle. Once it was warmed up I did a compression test to see if the motor was worth putting a head gasket in and it came up 185-175-175-180. There was steam coming out of cyl1 when I pulled the plug, and during the compression test there was coolant being pumped out of the plug hole. The compression was good enough for me to order the parts. I went on amazon for lemons quality fixes and ordered a top end gasket kit as well as a timing kit and water pump for ~$100 total!

After the compression test I appear to have lost spark... not sure what the issue with that is, but there is an aftermarket alarm that needs to be removed, and if the motor is coming apart I can deal with the lack of spark later.

Jako and I started pulling apart the interior to make sure the floors were't rusty, and I have started to plan out the cage. Head room is going to be an issue because I am 6' and so are a few of the other people in on this project. I had a corbeau Forza seat laying around so I am mocking it up with that before I buy the real seat. I HOPE I will be able to pitch an FIA Corbeau Forza Sport at enough of an angle so I don't have to go with a Kirky mounted on the floor. A Kirky will do the trick... but I would like some support and padding.

The floors look super clean, and the underside of the car is clean as well... apart from the bottom half of the muffler being gone.

My goal is to get this car out on Autobahn CC for the September 8th PDX and have it running for at least 2 of the three sessions.

Current To Do List before 9/8 :
H̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶G̶a̶s̶k̶e̶t̶ ̶&̶ ̶T̶i̶m̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶K̶i̶t̶
D̶i̶a̶g̶n̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶S̶p̶a̶r̶k̶ ̶I̶s̶s̶u̶e̶
R̶e̶m̶o̶v̶e̶ ̶A̶l̶a̶r̶m̶ ̶S̶y̶s̶t̶e̶m̶
F̶r̶o̶n̶t̶ ̶B̶r̶a̶k̶e̶s̶
R̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶B̶r̶a̶k̶e̶s̶ ̶&̶ ̶B̶l̶e̶e̶d̶
R̶e̶p̶l̶a̶c̶e̶ ̶S̶t̶e̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶W̶h̶e̶e̶l̶
Lower control arms
T̶i̶r̶e̶s̶

I am going to start building the cage in the off season.

Currently accepting donations of 15" civic wheels. There are ZERO decent tire options for 13" wheels.
Old 07-11-2017   #2
Jkruse
CICENet Senior Guru

This is awesome! The progress will be fun to watch!!!!
Jkruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #3
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

Awesome. Looks like a fun build. Have you explained to Jason the wonders of a Honda and that there is a more than decent chance you might only have to fix the engine once?
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #4
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
Awesome. Looks like a fun build. Have you explained to Jason the wonders of a Honda and that there is a more than decent chance you might only have to fix the engine once?
HAHA. With an amazon composite head gasket and no machine work I have a spare motor just in case.
Old 07-11-2017   #5
variable
CICENet Posting Master

I have a stainless exhaust and a probably a bunch of other junk laying around from my old 95 Civic Coupe that should work on this you can have for free if you want it shoot me a PM and I can go through the garage and see. Unfortunately I got rid of all my 4x100 Honda wheels.
variable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #6
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
I have a stainless exhaust and a probably a bunch of other junk laying around from my old 95 Civic Coupe that should work on this you can have for free if you want it shoot me a PM and I can go through the garage and see. Unfortunately I got rid of all my 4x100 Honda wheels.
I have your old 16" wheels with new tire in my garage. In case anyone is interested.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017   #7
jvb6806
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by variable View Post
PM sent. Thank you very much.
Old 07-12-2017   #8
Kazz5
Member of 'The Zoo'

Great project! Wishing you folks the best of luck!
Old 07-12-2017   #9
jvb6806
Administrator

Put in a few hours this afternoon and checked a few things off the list.

I finished pulling the back half of the interior out, the headliner from the targa, and the trunk.

Then I dug into the aftermarket alarm and power door lock system. It was a HACK JOB, but unfortunately it did not fix the lack of spark issue. I found two connections in the whole lot that had been soldered. When they tapped into the ignition switch they cut back some of the coating and shoved the smaller wires though the copper and covered it with tape... for both power and ground. Nothing was actually run in or out of this box... all it did was tap into different wires. I found the same top notch electrical work tapped into the fuel pump power wire. I am not sure what this thing did apart from add a flasher relay into the head light switch.

I bolted the drivers seat back into position but didn't feel like putting in the passenger today. I think the decision has been made to go with the Kirkey Road Race seat to ensure head room. I am not going to worry about that until the winter because there is no way I will have a cage in there for a harness by September goal.

I hot wired the windows down to make sure they worked and put the lid back on it. I also put an amazon special door handle on the drivers side and had to scavenge parts from the also broken passenger side door handle to make it work. $4 in parts are on there way from Honda so hopefully by the weekend I should have two working doors.

I am going to have to make a switch board or something for all of the windows because there is no way in hell I am buying a $350 window switch from Honda.

until next time... when I pull apart the distributor to check the coil and switching device. Preliminary tests show no spark coming out of the coil.
Old 07-12-2017   #10
JP-X
CICENet Guru

Did you take a before weight of the car? I'd be curious to see how much weight you take out over the whole project. Also it's a lemons car ... who cares about having side windows ... glass is heavy.
JP-X is offline   Reply With Quote