Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Track Events

Old 01-29-2017   #11
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

That was... cold. And awesome. Wholeheartedly recommend the GRM Stadium Experience. Breakfast in the suite was a nice light at the end of the tunnel.
illinipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2017   #12
jvb6806
Administrator

that race is on my bucket list. I am planning on going to road america race and petite lemans this year. What a great race... and 14 different manufacturers! a little bit of me died last night when the TMS car had to go behind the wall last night at like 11. That was when I went to bed. I think I wanted about 14 hours of the race this year. Luckily fox sports go didn't block out the portions aired on FS2 like they have in years past. Comcast doesn't carry FS2 in my region.
Old 01-29-2017   #13
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Yeah I passed out during the rain caution and again from like 5-7. If I was better prepared for the weather, I totally would have stayed up and spent way more time in the garage... And I was in the garage for like 6+ hours as it was. You could watch the wreck or breakdown on the Fanzone big screen and then run back to that car's spot to see it roll in.
Old 02-03-2017   #14
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Couple of my photos for encouragement to join me next year:

http://imgur.com/a/jhMaH

Old 04-16-2017   #15
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

This was amazing and I keep checking the schedule to see when I can make another WeatherTech race. I'm looking at taking my son (will be almost 3 at the time) to either Belle Isle or Road America. Wondering if anyone here thinks we would have a better experience at one or the other?

Belle Isle schedule is action-packed with some form of qualifying or racing all day long on both Saturday and Sunday. Sure to be packed with people, parking will be a joke, hotels no doubt outrageously expensive. It has "other" things to do around Detroit, especially The Henry Ford, but not sure we would bother with that much happening on the track. 2-day price with paddock pass is $150 for two of us, $255 for all three.

Road America is 1 hour closer to drive, hotels are probably cheaper given the rural location, but it's on a weekend I could not bring my wife. Also happens to sit between two weekends that we have other plans in southern Wisconsin, so annoying to go back and forth so much. The slower pace of schedule might be a positive considering the sustained noise levels involved. Price is only $105 for two.

So, costs and driving time are significantly higher for Belle Isle, but I would have the benefit of a second set of eyes on my son and not driving to Wisconsin 3 weekends in a row. Any other intangibles I'm missing?
Old 04-16-2017   #16
jvb6806
Administrator

I have been up to RA several times for Grand-Am, ALMS, IMSA, and various other events. I usually stay at the AmericInn in Plymouth (15 mins from the track). Newly renovated, pool, etc. Because hotels are so limited the race teams are staying in the same small town hotels that we do. A buddy was staying at the AmericInn in Shaboygan (45 mins fro the track) and when I went to pick him up I was enjoying my continental breakfast next to Lucas Luhr. I didn't bother him... but I did overhear him talking some shit about some of the other drivers.
Old 07-25-2017   #17
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

Just got my ticket for GT3/SuperTrofeo/WeatherTech at Road America. Advance rates end on Wednesday. Under 16 get in free! Heading up Saturday, I have room for carpooling and you could probably crash on my mom's couch for a ~1.5 hour drive in the morning. Coming straight back after the race.