Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Track Events

Old 05-09-2011   #1
DisplacedNE
CICENet Posting Master

Chicago Region PDX at Autobahn

Anyone interested in going up to the Chicago Regions PDX held at Autobahn Country Club on May 27th. I just registered and look forward to going. This doesn't seem like too bad of a deal, here are some general details:

When: Friday, May 27th starting at 5:30pm (drivers meeting at 4:15)
Where: Autobahn Country Club, Joliet, IL
Course: South course (I believe, turns 2 through 12)
http://www.chinmotorsports.com/image...s/autobahn.jpg
Cost: $110, should include three 20 minute sessions and an instructor
Run groups: Beginner, intermediate and advanced
Bonus: Convertibles with factory hard tops are welcome

If anyone is interested, I plan to take a half day to venture up to Joliet, so I would be open to caravans from the Peoria area.

Also, no experience required. Heck this is my first track event.

For full details and registration go here:

http://www.scca-chicago.com/pdx/

Edit: A couple of the details above are from what I heard at the AutoX in Chicago this weekend and from my observations at an event that I visited last year. Specifically which course will be run and how many sessions you get.

CIR SCCA Member - schedule
CCSCC Member - schedule

Last edited by DisplacedNE; 05-09-2011 at 11:37 PM.
DisplacedNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011   #2
Tabres
CICENet Posting Master

Highly tempting to take my STi up...
Tabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #3
NewScooby
CICENet Posting Master

I'm interested in learning more about these events as the rules are a bit fuzzy. DisplacedNE if you could, post up after the event if the advanced run groups have truely open passing and if they are allowed to use data logging/timing equipment in their cars. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be interested in learning more about these events.

The rules state the following...

COURSE MAPS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ALL STUDENTS, INSTRUCTORS, AND OFFICIALS, AND SHOULD BE MARKED TO INDICATE
1. Passing Zones must be clearly labeled
2. Speed Limited areas (if applicable)
3. Any cones or temporary barriers

I might be interested in going to a few of these in the future as I could take a half day off work and drive up, track it, and drive home without the normal expenses of hotel stays and several meals out. The price is fair for three 20 minute sessions of open track time if that is what you get. Gingerman has been offering 5:30-8:30 open track events for years for $75. Too bad that track is so far away.
NewScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011   #4
DisplacedNE
CICENet Posting Master

Yeah the proximity and cost isn't too bad. You should join and find out if the rules are as you read them. I am fairly confident that beginners have to get a point by to pass.

Anyone else contemplating about going up?

CCSCC Member - schedule
Old 05-16-2011   #5
pokarma
CICENet Guru

I'm thinking about July 1st.
pokarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #6
DisplacedNE
CICENet Posting Master

Registration is closing on Thursday this week. Anyone else register or planning to register?

Here's an email I got today. See if it answers any of your questions.

Quote:
Hello all,

I hope everyone is excited to get on the track next Friday, I know I can't wait!

Just a few items to review before you get to the track, please take a few minutes to carefully read the following (better yet, print out):

DRIVING DIRECTIONS TO TRACK:

Take Route 53 south to Laraway and then turn right. Turn left on Patterson and the track entrance will be on the right about a mile or so down.

Construction and traffic might adversely affect your travel time. Give yourself some extra time to get to the track -- especially on the first holiday weekend of the Summer. Better to be early than late.

SCHEDULE:

Our TENTATIVE schedule is as follows:

2:30PM - 3:30PM Registration/Check-In (sign in with Autobahn at the gate to get inside the track, our registration/check-in is in the Media Center adjacent to the South Track)
2:30PM - 4:15PM Safety Inspections (at/near Tech Building)
4:00PM - Drivers Meeting (in Media Center)
5:00PM - 5:20PM - Track tours with instructors (low speed)
5:30PM - First On-Track session begins (group order: Advanced, Intermediate, Beginner, repeat...)
9:00PM - On-Track sessions end?? (we'll run until it's too dark for cornerworkers to see, should be about 8:45PM)

Again, better to be early, at a minimum PLEASE BE ON TIME.

MAPS:

Please visit the Autobahn Country Club website and check out the maps of the Facility, Paddock and South Course:

Full Facility: http://www.drivefastbesafe.com/PDFs/Facility.pdf
Paddock: http://www.drivefastbesafe.com/PDFs/...yout%20Map.pdf
South Course: http://www.drivefastbesafe.com/PDFs/southmap.pdf
Paddock with notes: http://scca-chicago.com/pdx/images/A...addock_map.pdf

It is advised that you print out the above to bring with you. You'll have to check in with Autobahn at the Registration Building at Gate #1 before you can enter the facility. Our event registration will be in the Media Center in the South Track Building at the south side of the paddock. Once you enter the facility, proceed directly to the Media Center

GUESTS/CREW:

If you are bringing someone with you who is not a registered participant, please reply to this email with their name and I will add them to your "crew". Autobahn will have a list of registered entrants/crew at the Registration Building at Gate #1. Only those whose names are on the list will be allowed into the facility.

SCCA MEMBERSHIP CARDS/CERTIFICATES:

SCCA membership for this event is REQUIRED. Please bring your membership card with you or you could be subject to a $15 weekend membership fee. For those who paid the $15 weekend membership fee online, please log into your MotorsportReg.com account and you should find a link to print out your weekend membership certificate. I do not have the ability to do this from my administrative interface, so the responsibility is upon you to print this out and bring it with you. Weekend memberships will be processed on Thursday after online registration closes. An email reminder will be sent to you at that time.

CLOTHING REQUIREMENTS:

Long pants and long sleeve shirts are REQUIRED. I usually bring a denim long sleeve shirt to wear over a t-shirt. It's easy to shed the denim shirt when I get out of the car to cool off. No open toe shoes.

HELMETS:

Snell M-2000/SA-2000 or better (i.e newer, current spec is M-2010/SA-2010) REQUIRED. Open and full face helmets meeting the minimum requirements are OK. Please reply to this message if you need to use a loaner helmet so we have an idea of how many to make available. It would be helpful if you can borrow a helmet from a friend, we have a limited amount of loaner helmets and they have seen many a sweaty head (hint: if you think you're going to get addicted to track events, get your own helmet).

FOOD/DRINK:

There is a food vendor on site, but I'm not sure if they will be open when we are there. It would be advisable to pack a sandwich or two and something cool to drink so you don't go hungry/thirsty. I'm planning to stop by a Jimmy Johns on the way down for lunch and will get an extra sandwich to put in my cooler for a light dinner. If it looks like it's going to be hot, it would be a good idea to bring something cool to drink too (no alcohol, duh).

CAR PREPARATION:

Go thru you car this weekend and empty it out. Remove anything that is loose, and look for stuff under the seats. There is nothing worse than having something pop out from under your seat and bounce around your feet when driving. You'd also be surprised how much noise the stuff in your glove box can make. For the stuff you need in your car on the way down, bring a plastic bag or tote bin to place all the loose items in when you are on-track. Troublesome floor mats are not limited to Toyotas, so be prepared to take out the drivers floor mat too.

While there are self-serve credit card enabled gas pumps onsite, there is a premium price attached (93 and 100 octane available). It is STRONGLY advised that you fill up the tank COMPLETELY before you get to the track. My Volkswagen GTI may get 25+ MPG on the highway, but only gets between 6-7 MPG on-track. I'll arrive with a full tank and leave with the gas light on. You don't want the embarrassment of running out of gas on-track (don't ask me why I know).

Likewise on the brakes. By now you should have checked the status of your brake pads and should have more than 50% left. It you've forgotten this item, it's not too late to put on a fresh set of pads (front brakes do more of the braking than the rears).

Check your tire pressures tonight as well. Check the manufacturer tire pressure label on the drivers door pillar, glove box lid, or back of the gas filler door (some manufacturers put them in weird places). Large deviations from the manufacturer's recommendations can make your car a handful on track. If you are not sure where to set your tire pressures, it is best to go with the manufacturer's recommended values as a starting point. There is compressed air available at the tech building.

RIDEALONGS

NEW for 2011 - Ridealongs will be offered as time/space permit to those not entered as drivers. Cost is $30 which includes weekend membership fees. Ridealongs will ride with several of our instructors during the later run sessions.

AND FINALLY...

Remember that this event is NOT a competition. In addition, the PDX rules strictly prohibit any timing of laps -- including personal lap timers. Please don't ask where you can set up your lap timer beacon, it's not allowed.

We're all out there to have some fun and to do it in a safe environment -- we expect that everyone will be professional and courteous on-track.

And now for some track day humor (if you've run with us last year, this video will be familiar to you): -- Please don't be this guy! ;-)

Let's go have some fun!

Regards,
---
Erik Vandermey

CCSCC Member - schedule
Old 05-28-2011   #7
DisplacedNE
CICENet Posting Master

So, I made it up to Autobahn yesterday for the event and just made it in time for registration due to I-55 going to one lane over the Kankakee River (30-min of sitting in traffic). It was a lot of fun and a real relaxed atmosphere. I ran in run group 3 (beginners), so I had an instructor in the car for all three runs (Chris Jenkins was one of my instructors and he was very helpful). Each time it was a different instructor, which was good and bad. The good is that I got multiple views on what line to take on course. The bad is that the views contradicted each other on occasion.

But, to answer some folks questions concerning the event and how it is organized I will make a few points:

1. We ran the south course which looks to be more entertaining and challenging than the North course. A lot of double apex corners.
2. We got 3, 20-min sessions
3. Passing was via point by only on the front and back straights. Passing was always done to the right side because each straight went into a right hand corner at the end.
4. No timing is provided or allowed due to the level of PDX event (level 1). They instructed those with timers to disable them. But, they didn't prevent anyone from running video cameras.
5. We ran 3 run groups by experience, 1)Advanced/instructor, 2)intermediate and 3) beginner
6. They have three more events, one at Autobahn and two at Blackhawk Farms. All events follow the same rules for convertibles. So for my Miata a hard top is adequate, no roll bar required. This was news to me because Blackhawk Farms says a different thing on their website, but I was assured the rules are the same between venues.

Overall though it was a great experience. I spent most of the time trying to get to know the course and learn A line. But honestly I think I enjoy AutoX more at the moment, because I don't fear going all out on the AX course. I held back in the corners because it was my first track day, my first time on the course and I also really wanted to make it home in my car (there is a lot of run out space in most spots, but being my first time I was cautious). Also, dealing with traffic was a new experience that made me unnerved and broke my concentration and ability to look far enough ahead. By my third sessions I was getting more comfortable and had a good time passing some Vettes and a Speed3

So, for those who are interested in their first event or getting into track day type events. I think the Chicago Region PDXs are great for beginners to intermediate drivers due to the cost and instruction. Those that have a good bit invested and are experienced might not find it as valuable with the timing limitations. But, you may find it a cheap way to see the course and practice none the less.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

CCSCC Member - schedule

Last edited by DisplacedNE; 05-28-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2011   #8
Adam

Glad to hear you made that event and had some fun Ray!
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011   #9
erikv
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedNE View Post
Feel free to ask me any questions.
Thanks for posting my informational letter. It covers most of the questions that are typically asked.

Hope to see you on July 1st!

--Erik (Yellow RX-8)
Old 06-01-2011   #10
DisplacedNE
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikv View Post
Thanks for posting my informational letter. It covers most of the questions that are typically asked.

Hope to see you on July 1st!

--Erik (Yellow RX-8)
Erik, thank you and the Chicago Region for putting on this event. It was a blast. I will not make it to the July event, I hope to make it to one of the Blackhawk events late in the year.

Also, to those interested, direct your questions to Erik

CCSCC Member - schedule