Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > Motorsports > Auto-X\Road Racing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010   #1
dnace
Administrator
 
dnace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Peoria
Posts: 13,170
road to Lincoln 2011

I figure I would start a thread.

Whom is planning on going to the SCCA solo Nationals in 2011, and what are you going to do to prepare?


I will Start:


David
Shenanigan's racing STR s2000

Prep

Driver:
-I plan to attend more Chicago and regional events with tough competition.
-I am researching Evo driving school to determine if it will help take me to the next level.
-I am only looking at my first three runs at events to determine competitiveness.
-Changing the mental game...

Car:
-Biggest thing will be a competitive suspension. I have been running stock all these years and will be look to upgrade with a reputable company, and tune the suspension in the beginning of the year.
-Next year I belive I will pony up on the toyos.
-Camber joints will be coming in to increase my camber possibilities.
-Ball bearing sway bar mount. Will fix my wear out issu and provide a frictionless and rigid mount.
__________________
#82 Shenanigan's Racing STR S2000
www.shenanigansracing.com
dnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2010   #2
Mr. Pockets
CICENet Posting Master
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 2,740
I plan on going to Lincoln. On the way I'll do Peru, at least. The car will be largely unchanged. I might put a nice data acquisition system on it, but I'm starting to look towards 'the next car', so I'm not really inclined to spend a ton on anything else for this one. I firmly believe the car is good enough to win a tour. At least, it was this year. The driver just needs to get better.
Mr. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #3
Adam
Moderator
 
Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dodging Cones
Posts: 6,830
Planning on running the Mazda3 again next year and going to the event at Lincoln. No changes for the car planned other than new front rotors and some HPS pads that I'll be putting on this weekend. Original brakes have 94k miles on them and front pads are getting thin. No need compromising the balance and daily drivability with a big front sway and stiff shocks when I'm not even driving the car to it's max potential now. I just want more seat time and attempt to make the driver better. I'll try to hit some events up in Chicago(yet to do one of those) and continue going to Indy and STL events. I'm planning on going to a couple smaller tour events as well.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleez View Post
It's always better to do more fun shit in a day than to do less fun shit.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #4
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member
 
Z3papa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 5,420
I plan on hitting another Tour and going to Lincoln. I need to attend a real school when I am not sick and the car can perform. Potential changes to the car being contemplated to a better suspension (AST or Moton) with higher spring rates, drop rear sway bar, lightweight exhaust, and lightweight wheels.
__________________
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #5
Z3papa
CICENet Valued Member
 
Z3papa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnace View Post
I figure I would start a thread.

Whom is planning on going to the SCCA solo Nationals in 2011, and what are you going to do to prepare?


I will Start:


David
Shenanigan's racing STR s2000

Prep

Driver:
-I plan to attend more Chicago and regional events with tough competition.
-I am researching Evo driving school to determine if it will help take me to the next level.
-I am only looking at my first three runs at events to determine competitiveness.
-Changing the mental game...

Car:
-Biggest thing will be a competitive suspension. I have been running stock all these years and will be look to upgrade with a reputable company, and tune the suspension in the beginning of the year.
-Next year I belive I will pony up on the toyos.
-Camber joints will be coming in to increase my camber possibilities.
-Ball bearing sway bar mount. Will fix my wear out issu and provide a frictionless and rigid mount.
You might be interested in this tester program

http://www.vorshlag.com/vtpp.php
__________________
Z3papa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #6
Adam
Moderator
 
Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dodging Cones
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnace View Post
-I am researching Evo driving school to determine if it will help take me to the next level.
I'm considering it too, but only if they put me in the advanced run group so I can drive flat out.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleez View Post
It's always better to do more fun shit in a day than to do less fun shit.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #7
mtn
CICENet Posting Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Normal
Posts: 2,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I'm considering it too, but only if they put me in the advanced run group so I can drive flat out.
Lol

I did one earlier this year and certainly believe its worth it, even if my times don't show it. They said that over half of last years trophy winners were former EVO students. It is a lot of money, but I got 24 runs with a nationally competitive driver right there telling me how to get faster. I'll be doing one again sometime within the next two years if I can manage it.
__________________
Our Father, who art in Autos, hollowed be thy frame. Thy Horsepower come, Thy torque be fun, in Imports as in Domestics. Give us this day our daily fuel, and forgive us our hooning, as we forgive those who hoon against us, and lead us not into chrome accents, but deliver us from rice. For thine is the Cam, and the Piston, and the Rod, for ever and ever. Or until they break.. Amen. -A1
mtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #8
Mr. Pockets
CICENet Posting Master
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 2,740
I did the Evo Advantage school in Peru, and it was totally worth the money (even factoring an extra night's hotel stay). I got a great instructor who positively made me faster that day and since. The other local guys who were there had mixed opinions about their experiences.

I've never done a regular Evo school. I suppose at this point I'd be irritated at having to start from the bottom. With the Advantage school in Peru, I got an instructor who catered his instruction to what he saw in my driving, instead of following a curriculum.
Mr. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #9
Adam
Moderator
 
Adam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dodging Cones
Posts: 6,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtn View Post
Lol

I did one earlier this year and certainly believe its worth it, even if my times don't show it. They said that over half of last years trophy winners were former EVO students. It is a lot of money, but I got 24 runs with a nationally competitive driver right there telling me how to get faster. I'll be doing one again sometime within the next two years if I can manage it.
How much does it cost anyway? I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be just as beneficial to ride along with some top local drivers like Russ, Nick, Smucker or Emanuel and have them ride along well.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleez View Post
It's always better to do more fun shit in a day than to do less fun shit.

Last edited by Adam; 10-08-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010   #10
Mr. Pockets
CICENet Posting Master
 
Mr. Pockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Champaign, IL
Posts: 2,740
I think it depends on the student and the instructor, whether you're talking about local dudes or Evo. Getting somebody who can recognize where they can help you, understands the car you're driving, etc, is a crap shoot whether you pay money or not.

Speaking for myself, at the very least you're going to get what you pay for. Depending on a lot of factors, I may be able to help a given student be faster, or I won't. At this year's school (advanced and beginner) I don't think I did a lot of good for either of my students - and one was in an RX8!
Mr. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011 wrx Adam CICENet General 41 09-13-2010 10:46 PM
2011 wrx HonCivSi08 CICENet General 52 04-05-2010 12:41 PM
"Ride-Engineered by Lincoln-Mercury" (big pics inside) Chefasaurus Project Cars 13 11-06-2009 05:10 PM
Lincoln MKS vs the euros... Hornswoggler CICENet General 5 10-09-2009 10:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.