Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > News > Local Events

Old 05-15-2017   #21
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

So your goal of 50 cones. How close were you (I mean used for set up, not how many you hit, Dean)?
Jordanmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2017   #22
Angry_Subaru
CICENet Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanmilo View Post
So your goal of 50 cones. How close were you?
On Saturday we were just at 50 penalty cones, albeit disputed by some .

In any capacity I think most will agree we accomplished what we had set out for - The course was particularly fast and then suddenly slow and then fast again with lots of little visual trickery that was challenging for some but hopefully rewarding once corrected.

Sunday was slightly faster and better flowing in my opinion but required a couple more cones to satisfy safety stewardship.

We wanted to summon more Nurburgring and less Talladega, I think we did just that including elevation changes..... that bump on sunday, right?

Thanks for all that came out and enjoyed the great weather and I appreciate the feedback we received.

EB

Last edited by Angry_Subaru; 05-15-2017 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Dean added 1 cone without me looking.
Angry_Subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #23
depluma
Senior CICENet Member

We had exactly 50 stand-up penalty cones on course......of course, I'm not counting the start cones and the thousands in the finish shoot. :-)
Old 05-15-2017   #24
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
So the bet is no more than 50 standing up cones on site, not counting grid or worker stations. If you can do it I pay your entree fee if not you pay mine. Deal?

PS: Making all the walls lay down pointer cones is cheating.
I think the terms were laid out pretty clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depluma View Post
It's a bet!!
:-)
And then accepted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by depluma View Post
We had exactly 50 stand-up penalty cones on course......of course, I'm not counting the start cones and the thousands in the finish shoot. :-)
And then someone tried to change it. On top of that I think the number of OFF this weekend almost matched the number of "penalty" cones.

Trivia: what happens if you hit the cones at the start or after the finish line?

So much for the fun part.

Yes it was fast, too fast imo. (mid third gear in the Camaro ) There was a speed related incident resulting in damage that needs to be still sorted out and I'm seriously shocked to read that after that, Sunday was even faster!
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #25
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

Quote:
Yes it was fast, too fast imo. (mid third gear in the Camaro ) There was a speed related incident resulting in damage that needs to be still sorted out and I'm seriously shocked to read that after that, Sunday was even faster!
I think the lust for speed that's been surfacing lately really needs to be looked at. I think mid 3d in a Camaro is way beyond SCCA regs [https://www.scca.com/pages/autocross-faq], and yes I know that CCSCC is not SCCA affiliated, but please keep in mind when designing courses that the course workers are unprotected and can only run from a car as fast as a human can run--Usain Bolt himself can't outrun a Camaro that's pushing in 3d gear. And once a car breaks traction, the driver has almost no control over where or how long it travels.

Seriously, those of you who want to go that fast can go to a racetrack and push as fast as your car can go. I don't mind dipping into 3d gear in my Miata from time to time on an autocross course, but I don't have a roll cage or a HANS device, and I don't want to dent my car. And the course workers do not have barriers to stand behind.
Old 05-15-2017   #26
jako
CICENet Posting Master

Quote:
Whoah. What happened?
"It's ok... the shower curtain has suction cups."
jako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017   #27
nocones
CICENet Posting Master

We may not be SCCA affiliated but we use guidance for course design base on SCCA speeds. The video I saw from Saturday and my familiarity with the type of car being ran tells me the Sat course was to fast full stop. A course design that gets street tired cars above 70 is to much. It's fun to go fast but the protection for workers and runoff available are to little for those speeds. Remember energy scales with the square speed so a course that has cars going 75 vs 65 has them with nearly 25% more potential energy requiring 25% larger run off.

As unfortunate as it would be for our collective lust for speed to result in an incident that costs us a site it would be so much worse if we had an incident that resulted in injury to a courseworker or participant.
Old 05-15-2017   #28
Angry_Subaru
CICENet Member

It appears we need to clear the air just a little...

I would always encourage people not to rush to judgement without proper facts.

The incident mentioned is delicate and being handled/resolved by the CCSCC board and all parties involved. For that sake, personally I won't provide details to any 'rubber neckers' so please be respectful when posting things and be conscious of your very public audience.

I think the 'strong suggestion' that this issue was due to course design is frankly ridiculous. As far as I am aware, zero complaints were received during the event including the person making the comment nor via the multiple safety stewards present.

In the future, if you have an issue with how courses are being constructed, PLEASE come to a club/board meeting and/or provide info directly to the board via email or some form of communication. Posting on cicenet is not necessarily (although likely) a direct communication to the people building the courses but at the board/club meeting your voice will be unquestionably heard and materials reviewed.

Although I did not provide much details of this incident I hope we can all agree that without full details, it's not healthy to instigate or assume to know details or worse, lay blame.

Thank you for reading and if you have any further questions feel free to contact me or the rest of the board.

Eric Ballinger
Vice President, CCSCC
Old 05-15-2017   #29
DaBBG
Senior CICENet Member

I disagree with several of the opinions of the people who are criticizing the course whom didn't even attend. At no point in Saturday did I feel out of control or unsafe. The incident it question was an inexperienced driver pushing to hard in a car that he does not know. At 15 years of age, I was pretty reckless too. Many courses that start in the north end have the long stretch with some speed and some one happend to have an accident, is not cause and effect.
I don't believe it is a list of speed. We all have a a desire for adventure and adrenaline. If it didn't have some risk we wouldn't pay out the ass in insurance and we wouldn't have as much fun. I don't know if anyone at the event that stoped running because they felt it was unsafe. Did any one bring it up to the SSOR? If not then it must have not been a big concern. Not sure why it is a big deal now?
Old 05-15-2017   #30
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

I appreciate what the last 2 posters have said. Obviously, I didn't see or drive the course, since I didn't participate in the event. I'm just expressing a concern, in general, I guess, that I feel there's lately been a lust for top speed. It's just a feeling I have--no data to back it up.

I didn't intend to point any fingers, lay blame, etc. I know everyone in the Club is working hard toward safe and fun events.

And you're right: this is not the correct forum. In the future, I will bring any concerns I may have to the event Safety Steward.