Go Back   CICENetwork - Forums > News > Local Events

Old 03-20-2017   #21
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmathews View Post
Bump for possible co-drive.
I can feel you looking my way, Chuck, but I reckon I'm gonna do my brakes this weekend.

If I can't get parts in time I may change my mind Friday to run Sunday. If I do register, I'll let you know; I'd be happy to co-drive.
Jordanmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2017   #22
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

Brake parts are on their way. So I ain't autocrossing this weekend. But I am changing pads and rotors. No matter how many times my wife begs me to bring it to a mechanic.
Old 03-21-2017   #23
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that she perhaps, um likes you. And past experiences have raised the suspicion in her, that brakes may be better done by someone else. What do I know? Stay dry, we may not.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017   #24
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

There's been very few things I've done either around the house or on a car where she hasn't said, "I'm begging you, please, bring it to a mechanic"! I usually know my limits, repair-wise, and pads and rotors don't look beyond those limits. Chances are good, though, that I won't even be able to undo the wheel nuts (in which case, I'll drive it to a garage and have them loosened).

And I'm not going anywhere near the timing belt!

Here's to a dry weekend.
Old 03-21-2017   #25
Emanuel
CICENet Posting Master

The thing is, T-belt changes are well documented in a step by step fashion and the worst case scenario on a timing belt is you need a new engine, where if you mess up your brakes you may get hurt, or worse your car hurts other people. Trust me I have seen horrible things regarding brakes even though it is much, much easier nowadays with disc brakes and google ready everywhere.
Just saying, I have to listen to ridiculous safety presentations every week and you doing your own brakes, after having a shop losen your wheels, is pretty high up there on the no no's list. /nanny mode.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017   #26
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

Now you're freaking me out. I've got a Haynes manual, 2 or 3 articles on Miata.net and several videos on YouTube (none of which shows every step, but I can piece them together). I promise I will work very slowly and carefully and double check everything I do. Believe me, my friends didn't name me Mr. Safety for nothing.

And the shop loosening my wheels was in reference to the fact that I've encountered over-tightened lug nuts before, because of shops using air wrenches on them, but those were steel on steel and rust had some effect. All I meant was if I wasn't strong enough to crack them, I'd have a shop do it, then properly torque them for my drive home.
Old 03-22-2017   #27
JP-X
CICENet Guru

It's looking very doubtful my car will be ready by this weekend. Late nights at work in addition to waiting for a few parts means I haven't been able to get anywhere with the car.

If I get an offer for a codrive on Saturday, I'll go. Otherwise I'll hopefully be able to finish the car up, and see you guys at the next opportunity.
JP-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017   #28
jvb6806
Administrator

Old 03-22-2017   #29
illinipo
CICENet Posting Master

I guess I should prereg for Saturday, but like I told Emanuel, a lot of stars in different galaxies have to align for me to run. Should be able to at least stop by in the afternoon.
illinipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017   #30
Jordanmilo
CICENet Senior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvb6806 View Post
That is funny. I have, though, learned a bunch of stuff from watching vids. And not just adult ones.